How's this for a modern day prophecy?
In august of 2001, President Henry B. Eyring said that LDS youth cannot just "go with the flow" anymore and expect to remain righteous. He then prophesied of what is to come in the future: "The flow has become a flood and soon will be a torrent. It will become a torrent of sounds and sights and sensations that invite temptation and offend the Spirit of God"
Just a few short months after President Eyring prophesied of the torrent of sounds, sights, and sensations about to hit our youth, the first iPod was introduced to the general public. Two years later, the first video iPod came out. The youth of today are the first generation to be able to carry thousands of songs, images, and videos in the palm of their hand, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head.....
I got this bit of information from a new book that will be released in April by one of my favorite youth speakers, John Hilton III, called "WHY? Powerful Answers & Practical Reasons for Living LDS Standards" co-authored with Anthony Sweat.
I went into Beehive Bookstore in the Pocatello mall today and John Hilton III was signing books and promoting this new book, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of this book now.(the picture turned out so horrible because I asked a lady who was much older than I am to take it. I should have know better and asked someone else to take it when she had my phone turned the wrong way asking what she needed to look thru to see us.)
About a year ago Nakia told me something that shocked me and left me in disbelief. She said, "Mom, you have no idea what it's like to be a teenager, your old, out of it and not cool."
WHAT? That's BS! I have vivid recollections of life as a teenager and it wasn't that long ago. I'm still a young chick, aren't I?
So I will admit things have changed a bit in the past 16 years (Holy smokes, it's been almost 16 years since I graduated high school) And I remember when I was a rebellious teenager thinking my parents are so old, it's been so long since they were teenagers they probably can't even remember being that young. But now as my daughter verbally accuses me of not knowing what teenage life is like I want to laugh in her face, HA, I do know, & according to God's time line it WAS just yesterday that I was a teenager dealing with the same garbage she is now. OK, things are different now then they were when I was a teenager, but the bottom line is still the same, -Freedom, Fun & Friends- Like that will ever change in a teenagers world. However, the tools accessible for today's youth are quite different then When I Was A Kid.....
Technology, technology, technology..... Gone are the days of "party lines" In my time a party line was one phone line for 3 or 4 of the neighbors. When I was really young if we were really quiet and sneaky we could listen in on the neighbors (usually Vicky Vail) long enough to get the low down on all of her kids, friends, relatives and the current events. Not that we cared about any of that, it was just my first act of intentional rebellion that I can recollect.
Now days every kid who is past the 3rd grade (with the exception of mine, cuz my kids are abused) has a cell phone with unlimited texting & free mobile to mobile minutes, & they take full advantage of that. Now days 3 way calling is the new party line.
How about the music contraptions... back in the late 80's early 90's the Boom Box was the cats meow! You could judge a kids coolness by the size of the boom box he had propped on his shoulder, & the bigger the better.
My boys got mp3 players last Christmas that they could clip onto their shirt pocket & unless you knew what you were looking for, you would never know they had hundreds of songs plugged into their ears.
How about the computers? This will definitely age me..... We had 1 room in the school with 20 or 30 computers, all loaded with the hottest, newest technology know to man (we were a little sheltered) MS DOS. I think that's what it was called, ya know the blue screen with white typing and a full time teacher in there in case some stupid kid messed something up, there would be someone available who knew how to restart the computer. That's funny.
Angelea got an iPod touch for Christmas this year, which means she has full access to the Internet, so most of her time is spent sending and receiving pointless forwards, checking out her peeps on myspace (which I do not like) and watching every show, video and movie clip she can lay her eyes on from youtube.
Wow, back to what President Eyring said, "the flow has become a flood and soon will be a torrent. It will become a torrent of sounds and sights and sensations that invite temptation and offend the Spirit of God."

3 comments:
wow that is really interesting! it's also really scary!
That's why I'm staying in Costa Rica. If I ever have kids, they'll never even know about iPods and cell phones down here. Keep them sheltered...that's my plan.
Hi! I stumbled across your post and loved it...sorry that our picture turned out fuzzy. Hope you are your family is doing well! :)
fyi--there is a website being developed that has more Q&As...it's still kind of rough but it's at http://ldswhy.com/v2 hope it is helpful!
Post a Comment