Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Taste of Costa Rica

I was really glad I got the opportunity to go visit Linda & see for myself what it was that drew her to this drastic change of life. Although I, myself would not choose to live there, I can see why she is so in love with Costa Rica. It is such a simple, relaxed way of life, & the sunsets are to die for!
I have heard stories of 3rd world countries, but until one actually spends some quality time in one, nothing can prepare you for the extreme culture shock it entails.
We spent a full week traveling dirt roads, witnessing extreme poverty on levels I thought were a thing of the past, & I'm still in shock. I would love to take my kids there and volunteer at a school for a couple weeks, I think it would be a humbling, life changing experience for them.
My favorite part of our vacation was going to the school, meeting the kids, learning about their life and interacting with them. Kids are kids no matter where you go, and they all speak a universal love language, which is "WATCH WHAT I CAN DO"
They were all so excited to show off for us, & were proud of what they could do. We were told that there was only 12 kids in the grades 1st thru 6th with 2 teachers. Many of the kids walk 6 miles each way to school and they do it every day, once in a while they catch a ride with a local who has a delivery truck, but lately it's been broke down. The main form of transportation for the natives is there feet. Some have bicycles & we would see quite a few mothers carrying a baby or small child on the bicycle with her, and a few even have motorcycles. But I'm pretty sure all the vehicles we saw in the remote area we were at were all the tourists.
We all took turns introducing ourselves, they sang their national anthem to us and we sang ours to them, we played a game of soccer, then we had a photo shoot, they loved getting their pictures taken. I'm excited to send a box of pictures and school supplies to them, maybe even a few toys.

Here we got to swim with the turtles, way cool, something everyone should do sometime in their life

This is a giant jelly fish Angie the brave is holding, YUCK!
We went deep sea fishing one afternoon. Can you believe this was the first time Jared had ever been fishing anywhere besides a creek, about time he was initiated into manhood :) Too bad it wasn't a very successful fishing trip. The big fish were no where to be found. But he handled that fishing pole like there was a giant on the other end.

The fish that Jared was saying he was "blowing his mind out" is this one
The scenery here was amazing and this was their extremely dry season. I can only imagine how breathtakingly beautiful it is when it's all green and lush.


And for our viewing enjoyment, An intoxicated dancer.........

4 comments:

JC Photography said...

Such talented singers and dancers! What an amazing trip. I'd love to go there some day! The picture of you and Tello on the rocky beach is amazing. LOVE IT!

Joanna said...

Thanks Jenny, but that is a picture of Jared & Angie. The picture of me & Tello on the rocks was not worthy of posting :)

Yeehaw said...

1) That was the absolute most terrible rendition of our national anthem that I have ever heard! Worse than the family birthday song!
2) Your other pictures made me cry. You never told me you help little kids. And it's so beautiful there!

paulak said...

What a fun trip. I want to go so bad. Is Linda ever coming back? Looks like you guys had a great time...that's awesome.